How to Build Your Own Listening Post:
- Listen. Spread out in the community, go to events, visit libraries, sit at barbershops, walk through neighborhoods, and see what kinds of conversations are going on.
- Collect data. Collect datafrom community members on their information sharing habits.
- Identify/Establish Listening Posts. Pick some data driven listening post locations and information outreach methods.
- Topics/Questions. Make a list of topics that are important to the community, develop engaging community outreach questions around them.
- Engage. Pick a topic you want to create a conversation around, and distribute some questions via your listening posts. Make sure you share these questions in both offline and online locations.
- Share outcome. Create a two-way conversation, collect peoples thoughts and responses and then share them online, offline, through the radio, etc.
- Evaluate/Innovate. Take stock of what worked and what didn’t, and try some new approaches. Fail forward!
Make a Survey
Part of New Orleans where you stay:
- List what you think are the 3 main topics or issues that most impact your community.
- Where do you and your family go for news about your community? List all the different ways.
- If I want to reach you with important news, what's the BEST way to reach you?
- What devices do you have in your home to get and share information? List them all.